Rhythms and Rhymes 1 - December 2
Welcome to Day 2 of 25 Days of Mini's !
For me there's a purity of expression involved in the making of abstract art. The fact that it is so open to interpretation by the viewer is also really compelling....that two people can see completely different things in a few varied marks, I think, takes us all to our most human, basic selves. That is what keeps driving me to explore and delve into this thing called Abstract Art.
This series of Urban Abstract paintings started with many, many small gouache studies that were inspired by urban photos. Out of those I chose several I liked and used those to inspire the 8 x 8 oil paintings in this series. The process itself was very intuitive. It was about the paint, texture, design and what struck me as something that worked or coalesced. I do lean towards structure, be it a dark shape that anchors the painting, the application of texture or a scribbly drawn line.
There were numerous passes on each painting. I started with random application of paint. Then I would contemplate, while painting and between each pass….what was missing, what needed to happen to make this work, to make this interesting, to give this presence? And yet the thinking was driven by intuition, as I said, by feeling my way along, by trying something and knowing, No, that’s not it or Yes, that’s right…. more of that. I did a lot of wiping off, scraping down because I made many ‘wrong’ choices. That is how we get where we’re going. Life lesson.
- Original oil painting on wood panel
- Painting is 8 x 8 inches
- Wooden black frame with silver accent
- Frame dimension is 9 x 9 inches
- FREE domestic shipping*
- Painting is framed, wired, ready to hang out of box!
- If your interested in how this series and my plein air series developed, read my blog about it HERE
- Great gift idea!! For loved one, friend or yourself!!
- Sign up for email list here for special insider information about my process and exclusive discounts.
*Regular rates apply
** Christmas delivery not guaranteed after Dec 18th as per USPS guidelines